top of page
Request Information

Request information on any of DCT Aviation's training programs or services.


Chris VanMeter,
Commerce Twp., MI

What is M-1 and F-1 Visas?
U.S. Pilot Training for International Students

There are two types of U.S. visas available for international students who want to complete flight training in the United States: the M-1 Visa and F-1 Visa. Note: the U.S. tourist visa is NOT allowed for flight training in the United States.


U.S. M-1 Visa for Flight Training

The M-1 Visa is recommended for students interested in entering the United States to either take individual flight courses or a full professional pilot program. The full professional pilot program allows for training-only under this visa.


At DCT Aviation, this offering includes the primary ratings:


 - Private Pilot License (PPL)

 - Instrument Rating (IR)

 - Commercial Pilot License SEL (CPL)

 - Commercial Multi Engine Land (CMEL)


These  will take approximately 8-12 months to complete depending on your skill, ability and motivation. The M-1 Visa allows you to stay in the United States for up to 12 months. It can be extended if needed for training.


U.S. F-1 Visas for Flight Training

The F-1 Visa is recommended for students interested in a career as a professional pilot and who desire to complete a professional training program. Our professional training program typically starts with the completion of a Private Pilot Certificate and progresses through the Instrument Rating, the Commercial Certificate with Multi Engine Rating, and finally, the Instructor Rating. It also allows a student to be hired as a paid Flight Instructor with DCT Aviation (pursuant to successful completion of the interview process and job offer) to build up over 1,000 hours of flight time experience, which is key to moving on into an airline position after leaving the DCT Aviation.


Contact the DCT Aviation

To discuss and understand which Visa and program of study is right for you, e-mail to us for additional information on Application and Admission Requirements for International Students or call 248-666-1800.


bottom of page